Emerson’s Innovation & Technology Center
On May 11, 2010, Emerson Process Management opened their new of the state-of-the-art Emerson Innovation Center – Fisher Technology in Marshalltown, Iowa. This $30 million, 136,000-square-foot investment is designed to help customers tackle the toughest engineering challenges facing today’s process manufacturing and energy industries.
Don’t just read about it…
Watch this video to see for yourself why this is the largest, most comprehensive control valve development center in the WORLD!
The center is home to the world’s largest “flow lab” that, for the first time, enables large valves to be tested in real-world plant conditions to ensure production reliability, efficiency, environmental compliance, and safety before being installed at a customer site. The center’s flow lab has enough capacity to fill an Olympic-sized pool in just over 8 minutes, or a Goodyear blimp in about 12 seconds.
Control valves can be tested at pressures up to 3,500 psi, the equivalent of providing enough force to support a sport utility vehicle on a postage stamp. Meanwhile, the center also is home to a 26,000-square-foot sound chamber in which Emerson can develop and verify noise levels of new devices before a customer’s plant is built.
Typical reasons for testing: New design, Research, Product audits, Customer Orders, Field Problems.
- Size of flow lines: 2 inch through 16 inch.
- Lines are configurable for all valve sizes from 1/2″ through 24″ depending upon test conditions and valve configuration.
- Capacity of flow system: 14,000,000 scfh of air flow and 17,500 gpm of water flow.
- Flow rate accuracy is +/- 2% of reading.
- High pressure flow test system consisting of a 2″ and 4″ test line capable of air or water flow up to 2200 psig.
- Automated data reduction system allows rapid data presentation and analysis.
- Lab equipment and processes are ISO 9000 certified and all equipment is calibrated and traceable to N.I.S.T.
- The sound box is an anechoic box that has the ability to measure internal and external sound levels.
- Aerodynamic sound – quiet trims in the inlet and outlet valves, silencers upstream and downstream of test valve (to isolate the test valve from any other noise source).
- Hydrodynamic sound – quiet trims if dedicated sound line is used, test other lines for noise before testing in them.
- Bench Testing is used to measure break out torque, initial leakage, and hot air cycle testing.
Hydrostic & Stress Testing
- “Proof of design” hydrostatic tests determine the maximum allowable cold working pressure for pressure retaining parts.
- Two types of tests:
- Based on yielding for ductile materials.
- Based on bursting for brittle materials.
- Brittle lacquer tests to show high stress areas and locations for strain gauge mounting.
- Data acquisition system can scan at a rate of 10 times/second with 60 available channels.
- Hydrostatic tests can go up to 100,000 psig.
- Typical tests
- Vibration induced fatigue and wear.
- Positioner vibration performance.
- Seismic vibration testing.
- Testing is done to typical industry test standards SAMA PMC 31.1 – ISA §75.13
- Two electrodynamics shaker tables.
- Capable of 1500 and 4500 pound shaking force.
- Two PC based digital vibration controllers capable of sine, random, shock, and SRS vibration, as well as replicating actual field vibration data.
- The purpose of the machine shop is the creation and modification of prototype parts and modification of production parts for test purposes.
- Parts are produced from drawings or clear, detailed sketches.
- General milling and turning of most materials.
- Most general fabrication operations such as cutting, grinding, & drilling.
- Typical sheet metal fabrication operations such as bending, punching, and shearing equipment:
- 16″ Summit Engine Lathe (14″ Max work piece diameter), 9″ Hardinge Precision Lathe, (2) Bridgeport Manual Milling Machines, (2) Clausing Drill Presses, Powermatic Band Saw 19″ Throat, Rotex Turret Punch, 5/32″ to 2″ diameter Punches, 24″ Hand Shear, 12″ Hand Box/Pan Brake, 24″ Hand Box/Pan Brake, 6″ Hand Notcher.